Tonight at 8 PM we will be studying about the life of the Widow of Zarephath.
She was a foreigner facing starvation, yet she showed extraordinary hospitality to one of God's prophets, providing a safe harbor for him during a period of famine. Her story can be found in 1 Kings 17:8-24. She is also mentioned in Luke 4:25-26.
Our questions for the evening are as follows:
- Why do you suppose the God of Israel sent the prophet of Israel to get help from a pagan widow?
- The woman is searingly honest with Elijah in 1 Kings 17:12. What is she telling him here? Why do you think she does what Elijah asks her?
- In 1 Kings 17:17 – 18, where does she place blame for her son’s death? If her reaction surprises you in any way, tell how.
- What do you think you’re meant to take away from this story? What does it say about God?
If you’re reading this on the Blog and not in your email box, and would like to join Small Group, follow these instructions…
- REGISTER your email to get Small Group updates! Look to the top right of the Blog, put your email in, and don’t forget to ‘activate’ your registration through the link that will be emailed to you by Feedburner.
- JOIN SMALL GROUP by going to the Join Small Group tab and follow the instructions found there.