Welcome to another night of great Bible study and amazing fellowship!
Join us Monday, November 9 at 8 pm as we discuss Martha.
Active and pragmatic, she seemed never at a loss for words. Though Jesus chastised her for allowing herself to become worried and upset by small things, she remained his close friend and follower.
Her story can be found in Luke 10:38-42 and John 11:1-12:3
Our questions for the night are...
- What do the words "opened her home" (10:38) tell you about Martha?
- Often, this story puts Martha in a negative light and Mary in a positive one. Do you think that's fair? Why or why not?
- Martha was frank with Jesus. What does that tell you about her relationship with him? Why do you think she complained to Jesus instead of going directly to Mary?
- If Jesus were to come visit you today, would you busy yourself with preparations, as Martha did, or sit at his feet, like Mary? Which position would you be most comfortable with?
Food for thought:
Read John 11:27
We often study Martha and her shortcomings. However, this statement, made after her brother, Lazarus, had died, reveals another side of Martha. What does her declaration here tell you about who Martha really was?
If you’re reading this on the Blog and not in your email box, and would like to join Small Group, follow these instructions…
- REGISTER your email to get Small Group updates! Look to the top right of the Blog, put your email in, and don’t forget to ‘activate’ your registration through the link that will be emailed to you by Feedburner.
- JOIN SMALL GROUP by going to the Join Small Group tab and follow the instructions found there.